Monday, July 01, 2019

Halftime

They can play "Sweet Victory" here (Nickelodeon)

Vin Scully, on CBS: "And Adams takes a knee to lead his team into the break. Adams, of course, is day to day, but then again, aren't we all?"

OK, maybe he didn't say that.

We've reached the midway point of 2019.

Halftime on this #Project365 thing.

As I got closer to this point in the year, I found myself pondering the same thoughts I've had all along:

- Am I a better writer due to this?
- Does anyone care about these posts?
- Have they been impactful?

There are a few things that have stood out to me this year, but otherwise, I've tried to stay exactly the same as I've been since I started the bloggeroo in 2006. I've remained honest, opinionated, and (at times) picked my battles.

Basically, none of that has changed.

I spoke openly about some deep stuff. Every night didn't produce Shakespearean brilliance.

Check that. NO post produced brilliance of any sort.

John Nash and I often laugh that he coerced me into doing this project, but the truth is that I'm so grateful to him.

There were times that I was going to end the blog. I wanted to get to 10 years. OK, I got there in 2016. The posts were dwindling, to the point that I did just 35 last year. That was my lowest post total ever.

I posted twice at the end of 2018 to see if I could resurrect it one last time. Then came #Project365.

There have been nights that I've struggled to meet the deadline. One night, I pulled over at the Darinor Plaza after a game that I called and sat near the Old Navy with a hot spot on to get a post up. Other nights I've literally kept myself awake.

Some nights, all I had was a game broadcast or something small. But I still posted. I stayed true.

It's become a habit. It's become a guiding light for me. Some nights it's an albatross. Some nights it's a joy.

But I've done it every day for six months (plus two days).

I'm no brilliant award-winner. No no. I will never be as good as other heroes.

Save your likes and huzzahs for those fine folks.

I'll just be over here, trying to write this for another six months (and hopefully more).

*****

Mike Hirn and I were both a little annoyed at a fairly insulting comment in the Play-by-Play group on Facebook. A member of the group wrote that calling games from a studio (as I've done a few times for Local Live) was "acting" and "lazy."

That's the short version. After much thought, I responded:
So let me see if I've got this straight: a company I work for wants me to call a game from their studio, thus allowing me to earn a living and do my job, and I'm lazy? Wow. 
Guess what? If I don't do it, they'll find someone else. 
I've done it maybe three times because the company trusts my talent and they know I'm as authentic as they come. I don't "act." My viewers/listeners know where I am and I don't insult them. 
I do my due diligence. I get pronunciations. 
Would I rather be there? You bet -- 100% of the time. No question. But as has been said by others, I get nat sound and at that point, the call is just like any other call, and the reviews are good.  
I'd rather get on board with this than be left at the station.
Mike also responded. Firmly. About people being on their high horses. He's right.

Our comments have been deleted by some moderator who didn't have the decency to discuss it with me (or Mike). That's their business. It's my business to repost it here.

I'm considering next steps on this and will keep you updated if necessary.

Deleting worthwhile conversations does not promote a thing. It just creates a dishonest utopia.

Reality bites.

*****

Last thing: Tyler Skaggs was a 27-year-old pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels.

He was found dead this morning in a hotel room in Texas.

Again, he was 27.

Hug your loved ones tonight.

No comments: