Wednesday, June 06, 2007

D-Day...Just Not Online


A LCVP (Landing Craft, Vehicle, Personnel) from the U.S. Coast Guard-manned USS Samuel Chase disembarks troops of the U.S. Army's First Division on the morning of June 6, 1944 (D-Day) at Omaha Beach.

The other day I told you about XM Radio's channel 4 planning to play back the original audio of the D-Day invasion, as it happened on NBC Radio in 1944. I was so excited that I set up my little recording system just after midnight this morning so I could hear it and continue listening during the day. After listening to some of it, I could tell that something was wrong. Finally I heard a voice say that the broadcast could ONLY be heard on a satellite radio, and NOT on their online service.

BOO!

This would be acceptable if they had made that clear on their website, but they did not. Bad form, XM. I honestly think I would have gone out to my car and tried to hear some of it had I known.

Anyway, that's a loss for an historical radio nut like me, but it doesn't dim the image I have of the brave souls who knew they were fighting the fight of fights that morning in France. See Saving Private Ryan for the best example of how bloody and brutal D-Day was. If you want a history lesson about it, start here, or Google away!

No comments: