Friday, May 24, 2024

Why Am I a Sucker For a List?

 


Apple Music recently revealed a list of what they called the 100 best albums.

It's mind-numbingly awful.

I don't quite know where to start, except to say when The Beatles' Revolver is at 21, you've failed.

Or when Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band isn't on the list at all.

Or the obsession -- the insane obsession -- with Prince.

I mean, here's the top 10.

NumberAlbumArtist
1The Miseducation of Lauryn HillLauryn Hill
2ThrillerMichael Jackson
3Abbey RoadThe Beatles
4Purple RainPrince & The Revolution
5BlondeFrank Ocean
6Songs in the Key of LifeStevie Wonder
7Good Kid, M.A.A.D CityKendrick Lamar
8Back to BlackAmy Winehouse
9NevermindNirvana
10LemonadeBeyoncé

I'll just go with "wow" and it doesn't get much better beyond that.

I'm of course still flummoxed at Revolver being 21st.

Look, this is as always subjective. You can't convince me that basically, seven out of those 10 albums belong in my top 10, though I can see Thriller in a fair light. But Abbey Road, Nevermind, and Songs in the Key of Life are all incredible, of course. Those three are deserving.

But -- as a Beatles soul -- I don't have Abbey Road landing that high, so what do I know?

The greater point to me is to wonder why I get wound up about this stuff, given they're all opinions, and silly ones at that?

You want to think Barry Bonds is better than G.H. "Babe" Ruth?

Hahahahahaha, I mean, OK, enjoy that. I'll vehemently disagree but so be it.

Think "Seinfeld" is the best TV show ever? Again, so be it.

But why do I look at all of these things?

Almost to soothe my soul, I then got sucked into looking at Rolling Stone's top Country Songs.

Look, I'm no expert on country music, but will offer that I lean heavily toward older school country (and Western, of course).

"Jolene" by Dolly Parton got top honors in this version, while "I Walk the Line" by Johnny Cash was second. Cash's classic was number one when they did a similar list back in 2014.

I was otherwise satisfied as I read because of the respect for Hank Williams, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, the Carter Family, and Glen Campbell, whose "Wichita Lineman" was slotted too low for my taste at 12.

That song is a stone-cold classic and a textbook example of gorgeous songwriting by Jimmy Webb.

But, yeah, I suppose I have a list problem. Throw a top 100 together of some kind and chances are I'll look at it.

The Apple Music top 10 was sent to me before I saw the rest of it and I sincerely wondered if those doing the voting were on drugs, quite frankly.

Thus I had to see the rest of it.

Yeah, something is out of sorts there.

The takeaway here ultimately is that people will keep doing these things and I'll keep reading them.

And rolling my eyes at them.

In the end, it seems that I like them. I like analyzing them and talking about them.

Even if they make me nuts.


No comments: