Thursday, September 22, 2022

The Conference

A session includes a speaker via Zoom and it worked flawlessly

"Nice job today," I was told.

I laughed, thanked him, talked for a bit, then stepped away.

It's lunchtime at the latest Hunt Scanlon conference and I've grabbed a moment of solitude.

The ballroom is mostly empty. Attendees are upstairs enjoying excellent food, with a pasta station, a beef station, salads, desserts, and beverages. All are expertly prepared by the staff at the JW Marriott Union Square in San Francisco.

I've returned to review my script, confer with my colleagues, and prepare for the afternoon.

They're the ones who make it happen. I adjust as necessary.

We were all down here before 7 this morning to make the room look good. It looks great, to be precise.

For those who have asked, moderating a conference is about staying on time. Oh, there's more than that, but that's the main thing. But it's also making those who are speaking comfortable, working with the facility staff to make sure everyone is on the same page, conferring with the AV crew for all of the needs from a technical standpoint, and being ready with my colleagues.

I'm a facilitator. In basketball parlance, I'm a point guard.

The rewards come when the day is done but, as I take everything in, I feel like this is going exceptionally well. I'm able to answer any questions or get them to my colleagues because they're the ones who can most likely give them a better answer than I can.

In mingling with attendees there have been some complimentary words (not necessary but I'll take it). But, overall, there's a good tone in what I'm hearing. People are happy. They're having a good day.

That's what I want to hear.

As a moderator, I want to hear that I keep things moving and on time. I never want to hear that I drag things down. The worst feeling is when I have to break up a presentation because it has run too long. I'm happy when it moves well and in a timely manner.

Every conference is a bit of a physical and mental marathon. Physically, whether in London or San Francisco, I've likely walked the city and my feet are in pain. Or muscles are screaming. In the case of any conference (New York included), I'm exhausted because it's an early start and I feel the weight or the time restraints.

But there will be a raise of the glass later to toast the day. It's Mike and Erik and, of course, Chris and Scott, as well as everyone else in the Hunt Scanlon family who make this happen.

I stand out of the way, for the most part, read what I'm supposed to read and try to drop in a quick quip here and there.

It works and they keep asking me to come back. I've already gotten a look at some of what the next year will be like. I'll be with them for all of it!

Besides, I'm not sure anyone else wants the job and I'm not looking to give it up!

My view away from the podium


No comments: