Friday, September 25, 2020

The Nameless Editorial

 

I wonder which member of the board misspelled "Connecticut."
(For the record, I also make errors almost daily in these posts)

I'm not new to the newspaper business. Something tells me you know that.

I understand how editorials work. Sometimes there's an editorial "board." In smaller papers, the editorial is normally written by -- GASP! -- the editor. As it should be, because they know their audience.

But you have a general idea who wrote it.

An editor should write the editorial. It's a good opportunity to speak to the community. The editor puts their name on the paper. It should be their words.

But, alas, that's not always the case and it wasn't always true at HAN, for instance. When I was in Wilton, our editor wrote them, but she occasionally used one from another editor and, at least on one occasion, a broadcaster/writer penned the effort.

This leads to my belief that, if you're going to write, put your name on it. In this case, "it" is the writing of the Hearst Connecticut Media Editorial Board, as seen on the website of the New Haven Register. Seems the "board" thinks those who still want to play football in Connecticut -- when the majority of the US is currently playing football -- are "dangerous, elitist, and selfish."

Well, then, if you feel that strongly, perhaps you can come out from hiding and debate the topic. Tell that to the families in the state who want to play. From Danbury to Durham to Darien, and Greenwich to Guilford to Glastonbury, student athletes are adjusting and they don't need the equally "woke and elitist" Hearst board to push their narrative.

Connecticut is watching other states. Heck, I get pictures from Mike Hirn's setup for whatever game he's calling in Ohio. I see and hear the various broadcasts around the country. You can't help but understand the frustration, sadness, and desperation around these parts.

Yes, I'll admit that I've seen moments where the complaining has reeked of Gold Coast First World issues, but one of the things I remember hearing was that the private league (especially the one that was percolating in Fairfield County) would not deny any player entry, regardless of circumstances (including financial). Thus, that takes your "elitist" charge and kills that. So that pass is incomplete there, Ben Bradlee.

As of tonight, most of the chatter about the private club leagues has quieted down. Just to be transparent. My texts have gone silent. 

But, back to this topic.

I have far more respect for Sean Patrick Bowley, Scott Ericson, Pete Paguaga, Mike DiMauro, Dave Ruden, and others. While I might not agree with their opinion, they at least put their name behind it. They deal with the slings and arrows.

For Hearst to hide behind a board does nothing for their constituency. You know: their readers.

It also doesn't localize it. What someone is doing/thinking/saying in Canaan isn't necessarily the same as New Canaan.

This is still a battle of politics, and Hearst jumped right in with two left hands. Again, the athletes are stuck.

So as I write, 7-on-7 football (basically two-hand-touch) is being played in parts of Connecticut. Fairfield County will be climbing in next week.

Greenwich will be involved. As of right now, I can't tell you that I, Robcasting or WGCH will be broadcasting those contests. The same goes for the lineman challenges that are also sprouting up.

However, I can tell you if the community (you know, the listening audience) calls for it, then that will weigh heavily on the decision.

You know, actually listening to the people that I broadcast to. What a concept.

And putting my name behind it. 

Good or bad.

No comments: