Thursday, December 05, 2019

Just Another Long Day

Time to punch out and go home

It's after 10 p.m. and I'll still at WGCH.

If I don't take a moment and write now, I'll probably run out of time for tonight's Project 365 post.

So I'm sitting in the production studio waiting for a file to load from last night's football game.

I'm trying to edit everything so it can be replayed on WGCH.

To be clear, I'm not editing the play-by-play. It's more cutting out noise between quarters so that it can be more organized for playback.

This is how it sometimes goes.

Record this, edit that, host this show, run the board for that show, run the board and co-host another show and then edit more stuff before the ride home.

It's a good, busy day.

But, as always, it's not making me rich.

To that end, there was some confusion when I posted a picture from WON 920 The Apple on Tuesday. Let me clarify by saying it's not a new job. It's simply doing a favor for a fellow broadcaster who is carrying some Robcasting/WGCH audio.

I like contributing, so I do it.

Of course, that adds to the girth of the day. It nets me nothing more than two mic "flags" (the blocks/logos that you see on microphones) and a polo shirt. In return, I send Jonathan Rios pictures so that he can use them for marketing purposes.

I'm happy to help.

But I'm not leaving WGCH.

I'm climbing into public address announcing tomorrow night for Mahopac Hockey in Brewster as they host Horace Greeley. I was supposed to do the same for Carmel High, but they ultimately went with a volunteer, and I wish them well.

It's not an easy job. If you screw up, you hear about it. I've always said PA and scoreboard are two of the toughest jobs (not on the field) in sports.

On top of the PA gig, I'm also responsible for the music in the rink.

Screw up a name? Oh yeah.

Play the wrong song? You'll know it.

Put the wrong score or time or details on the scoreboard? Yeah. That too. Fortunately, I'm not responsible for the scoreboard.

Mahopac was nice enough to ask me to fill in after I did it once last season.

Now I have to fill out my music selections. As with the last time, unless I've been given music by the team (and they gave me a seven-minute warmup mix), you're getting whatever I choose to play.

Be kind. That's all I ask. I'll do my best.

But it's probably going to be quite classic rock heave unless something happens before tomorrow.

I know John Nash (Project 364/365 co-conspirator) will expect lots of Maroon 5 but, gosh darn it, I just don't have any!

I'll do my best.

With football (currently) finished for me, I sit here ready to get behind the hockey and basketball microphone, but you knew that already. I hope to get my chance soon.

I'll always be a play-by-play announcer first but this will be fun. Jake Zimmer, Nick Fesko, and Eric Scholl are among the pros that do a great job on the PA.

It's my turn tomorrow night.

OK, my editing is done. Files are finished.

Time to go home.

No comments: