Monday, December 02, 2019

Football Follies

Ah, the good ol' NFL Football Follies

The tire nightmare is over. Four brand new tires -- with treads! -- are on and life is good (for now).

But the storm has botched things up in other ways.

The Connecticut state quarterfinal football games, scheduled for tomorrow at 6:30 p.m., have been postponed to Wednesday at 6:30 p.m.

Wait. What?

Yes, we're getting a storm in Connecticut (as well as here in New York, but that's not relevant to this post).

Yes, storms happen.

But this storm is supposed to basically finish tonight for most of Connecticut, with the winter storm warning expiring tomorrow at 7:00 a.m. The northern part of the state is still supposed to get more snow.

I dared to question this on Twitter. Oops.

I'm hearing two arguments: 1) Host schools need time to clean up and 2) Teams don't have time to practice.

Which, no team ever has enough practice time. So your mileage may vary on that one.

And is this the first time we've had a snow storm before football games? No. No, it is not.

But hey, I'm all for clean roads and such!

Yes, I get it. Roads need to be cleaned, etc. I'd imagine that will be quickly done tonight and early tomorrow but that's also handled by the town.

I've called two "snow bowl" championship games (for instance) -- 2013 and 2017. Stamford's Boyle Stadium didn't need to "prepare the field." They sent out shovels during the game to clear up the yard markers and played the game. There was a point after the 2017 game when I was prepared to drive back to Greenwich and sleep there but I made it home without incident.

So, I get it. Clean roads are awesome!

Oh, and there was the 2002 game at Kennedy Stadium in Bridgeport where people were cleaning their seats following a storm the day before.

Somehow, we survived.

Other parts of the country laugh at this. I'm content to not drive in the snow personally.

On another personal note, WGCH is impacted by this. The game -- and "The Clubhouse Christmas Spectacular" are both scheduled for the same night. I'm involved in both entities.

Here's how this will all resolve itself:

6:20 -- Greenwich football will air live on Robcasting Radio. I'm on the call.
7:00-9:00 -- The Clubhouse will air live on WGCH (1490am) and wgch.com. Mark Jeffers and Dave Torromeo (with Bob Small) will handle the hosting duties just fine.

We'll also replay the game on WGCH at a later time.

Beyond that, the semifinals have been moved to Monday. My involvement may or may not be contingent upon Greenwich winning, but I might still have a game regardless. I hope I do.

Some don't like my questioning this. Others agree.

Just another day.

Don Imus appeared on New York radio for the first time on this day in 1971. Radio, in my opinion, was rarely better (in the non-sports category).

No comments: