Sunday, August 31, 2008

Not Again!


Certain stories grip me, and Hurricane Katrina in 2005 was one of them. I sat riveted watching what was going on, partially because I had been to NOLA twice - first in 1975, then in 2003 (I've since been back - in early 2006), but also because my niece (who was eight months pregnant at the time) and her husband lived there.

As Hurricane Gustav gets ready to pound the Crescent City again, let us remember what happened in 2005 (and this is not the time to break it all down again), and think good thoughts about the good people there.

New Orleans Mayor C. Ray Nagin has said the city will enforce a mandatory evacuation, and other parts of the metro NOLA area must get out. New Orleans won't be the only area to be troubled by Hurricane Gustav (currently a category 4) but the sensitivity and sentimentality is strongest for them.

I'm sure many outlets will be covering it, but if you want the local angles, allow me to recommend NOLA.com with news from the New Orleans Times-Picayune, and news radio coverage from the WWL - New Orleans flame throwing AM station (Free registration required)

Please, folks, go somewhere and be safe. And be strong!

No comments: