Friday, May 07, 2021

The home broadcaster

 

The MiLB.tv schedule for Tuesday, May 11

There are 120 games in this season. Sixty at home and 60 on the road.

Many teams aren't sending their broadcasters to the visiting site  -- mine included.

Yet, having to write a game story every night means it's preferable to watch or listen to each game. However, this concept is easier said than done.

For three nights now, I've either listened to or watched the Jersey Shore broadcast on their website. As I learn the routine, I'm able to not pay as rapt attention as I might have thought was necessary. Initially, I planned on keeping score of each game for notes purposes. Yet I listened to part of Opening Night in my car, so scoring went right out the window.

I'm also learning the rhythm of the game writeup. As it gets distributed to a large media base (!) it's more of a press release that goes on our website (hvrenegades.com) versus a true game story. So three nights have produced three different lengths and at least one mistake. Far be it for me to cut myself any slack.

So here's what I (think I) know so far about the league in terms of broadcasting:

- Hudson Valley: home games only (with the lead broadcaster begging for a few road trips). A couple of road games might still happen. Game audio and video available via website, MiLB.TV, First Pitch app, and on the radio via Z93.

- Brooklyn: home games and expecting to do road games, per lead broadcaster Keith Raad. Dana Grey joins him in the booth. Games online via team website and MiLB.tv. So if Keith can travel to Dutchess County...

- Jersey Shore: home games only (so far) with Greg Giombarrese and Tony Graham. Games online via team website and MiLB.tv

- Wilmington: home games only, called by a select group of students from Rowan University. Audio online via team website.

- Aberdeen: home games only. No voice on the broadcasts. Games online via MiLB.tv.

- Greensboro: home games only but apparently no MiLB.tv. I've also gathered that's Andy Durham's voice on the audio broadcast, heard on the team website.

- Winston-Salem: home games only with Luke Hallett and Andrew Murphy. Games online via team website and MiLB.tv

- Hickory: I'm not sure if they're going to have a broadcast in any fashion, including MiLB.tv. They play their first home game next Tuesday.

- Asheville: home games only but, as with Greensboro, it appears there is no MiLB.tv stream. I think that was Doug Maurer's voice that I heard the other night when I listened to the audio on the team website.

- Greenville: home games only with Dan Scott. Games online via team website and MiLB.tv

- Bowling Green: The MiLB audio page says they're doing all home games and select road games. That checks out as I heard Shawn Murnin on the call last night. He's joined by Riley Edwards. Their games are also available on the team website and MiLB.tv.

- Rome: home games only, called by Kevin Karel. It doesn't appear that they have MiLB.tv but the audio is available on the team website.

OK, I get it. Broadcasts cost money. Since the dawn of time (or 1921) owners have been often ambivalent or flat-out against broadcasts. They think it hurts the gate versus serving as free advertising. New York baseball was mostly blacked out until 1939.

Still, the decision of those with no broadcasting at all (or no voices) is disappointing. It's a disservice to the visiting fans. So, for instance, when the Gades are at Aberdeen, you'll have to figure out what's going on since there will only be a picture. Furthermore, if you don't buy MiLB.tv, you'll be completely out of luck.

For what it's worth, that means I'll be pushing to go spend time in Aberdeen, MD. Anyone want to sponsor a road trip?

I feel for people who care about some of these other teams. Families of players around the world can't see or hear the games and I just think that's sad. Now, look, I'll still complain about the quality of those broadcasts (oh, will I ever) so there's the argument of if it is better than nothing.

But, as for cost, where there's a will there's a way. I'm best to leave the topic right there before I get drawn and quartered by the "OUR SERVICES SHOULD BE COMPENSATED" crowd.

For what it's worth, Hickory, Greenville, Bowling Green, and Rome aren't on the schedule against the Gades. For everyone else, they'll be relying on our broadcasts unless their broadcaster travels. I'm gathering Keith Raad will be visiting our humble visitors booth, which we specifically left open for that reason.

Or we'll put Sean and a camera in there. Or something else. Empty space in a stadium does not go unused.

We also had a meeting with Chuck Benfer and Chris Marino from iHeart (Z93) today. The pertinent info that came out of it is that the home opener broadcast will begin at 6:55 on Tuesday night so that we can catch some of the pregame activities. Otherwise, broadcasts will only have a five minute pregame show.

However, Zach Neubauer and I talked later on and determined that we'll produce a more extensive broadcast for the web and MiLB.tv.

It's expected that I'll do a pregame interview somehow but it won't be for the radio side as we just won't have time.

So that's the game plan for now.

Four days to go.

I'm off to Norwich tomorrow for Brunswick/St. Thomas More baseball and onto Dutchess Stadium on Sunday to be a guest on Rick Zolzer's sports talk show.

Monday is a teaching day at CSB.

Tuesday...nothing major.

Four days.

No comments: