Sunday, October 11, 2020

Little League Baseball Prevails

 


I feel a little guilty writing this, as Shawn Sailer has already summed up today's events over at Sailing with Sailer.

It's a little "Pete and Repeat," but we'll persevere nonetheless.

In truth, I took a nap this afternoon. I mean, a deep sleep.

Welcome to "Post-Championship Exhaustion!" 

I've told you before about this before. I consider championship broadcasts to be a huge honor and don't think they should ever be taken lightly. I think it's something that should be earned, and I work my tail off for those calls.

So when Robcasting was asked to serve as the exclusive (yes, I'm using that term correctly) broadcaster for the 2020 Connecticut State Little League Championship, I put the usual amount of stress on my shoulders to do it right.

Then I fell asleep.

I had those great emotions (a lump in the throat and a touch of nerves along with chills) as the I listened to the national anthem before the first pitch of Hamden and Montville today.

As it often happens, we didn't know these teams before everything started a week ago. We barely knew Hamden, having covered them against Fairfield National.

But they -- Hamden, Wallingford, Montville and South Windsor -- had fun with us and vice-versa. They couldn't miss us, perched above the first base dugout.

I tweeted with pride after Hamden won 12-1 in four innings today that we felt we were "The Voices of Little League." Sure, the tweet was tongue-in-cheek but it spoke to the belief that listeners (and viewers on Facebook) will get a reliable broadcast.

I know, we've been down that road before. I've explained the simplicity of the style. It's reporting, information, explanations, educating and entertaining. But I think it's also worth reminding people that we show up and do the gig and stay out of the way. Reliability -- honoring the commitment -- is always an important selling point.

As for the game, Hamden's "Dragons" breathed fire from the first pitch and never looked back. Players like Nate Marczak, Sean Figueroa, and Kam Gamm -- the top three in the Hamden lineup --  dominated. Those three alone accounted for eight of the 12 runs as they went 7-for-7 with two home runs, a walk, and a hit by pitch.

Marczak struck out six and allowed only a fourth inning home run to Eddie Torres to get the win.

On a smaller scale, you never like to see a team get "mercied" (losing by 15 after three inning or, in this case, more than 10 after four) but that spoke to just how good Hamden was today. This was the same Hamden squad who needed a crazy finish to beat Montville 6-5 last Sunday.

Today, they were decidedly the champions.

And, thankfully, we all lived to see the day three without getting any grief from the Health Department, who apparently had a visible presence at the game. Players were constantly being reminded to stay apart during the game but, given the passion and energy of athletics, was next to impossible when Marczak struck out Bradley Strickland to secure the title.

While there was no dogpile, there were still excited hugs for all.

But as I've been saying all along -- hiccups aside -- "they will play," and play they did. Little League Baseball in Connecticut can hold their heads high, having completed the season.

The tournaments Shawn and I called -- at Bridgeport, Milford, and Stamford/Springdale -- were each run well, with the state tourney being the most stringent on social distancing efforts. 

The thinking by Perry Pierce (State Little League Administrator), who was the boss in Springdale, was that Shawn and I could be the eyes and ears for the families who wanted to attend but couldn't or shouldn't.

Quick side note: Perry asked us to call all of the games. We would have happily called every game at the other sites as well. Just ask (rates are reasonable!). I truly live by "Have headset, will travel!" Though I'd also love a hotel room sometimes!

Chris Kaelin (in Billy Wagner "jersey") goes over details with Hamden

Perry, our friend Chris Kaelin, and a host of others volunteered their time and effort to make this tournament shine. Shawn and I also volunteered and had a blast doing so.

There was music and public address and a field that you could eat off of (Pete Stokes and company for the win). There were even little things, like the scoreboard being left on after the final out so that families could get pictures with it. It was all class.

They played. The Connecticut Department of Health can learn from that.

Hamden won. So did Little League Baseball.

Thus (most likely) ends baseball for me in 2020. Given where things were in March and April, I'm thrilled for each game I got to call. But I'm itching for more in 2021, led by the Hudson Valley Renegades.

You know I'll be there if I commit to it.

No comments: