Sunday, September 01, 2019

Thoughts While Mowing the Lawn

The Black Keys (Photo: Alysse Gafkjen)
I'm sure I'm not unique in the fact that I come up with great ideas -- for the blog and elsewhere -- when I'm away from my computer or pertinent device.

The point being, by the time I get to said device, the whole tenor of whatever I want to do has changed.

I was considering a whole breakdown of how modern music has (clearly) passed me by. I'll add to that by saying that's also not a unique phenomenon.

But let's give it a try.

My dad made an effort to connect with us teenagers in the '80s by watching MTV. He was in his 50s by then.

I'd say popular music officially jumped my shark (which just sounds wrong) around 2013 or so.

I was 45. Ugh.

While sitting with a friend recently, they noted a popular artist, and they knew who it was because of kids.

I sat there stunned. I had not the first clue who the artist was.

I felt the same about the recent MTV Video Music Awards.

I watched a highlight package from the show and found myself thinking it was all about choreography and flash, as opposed to, you know, music.

But I realize it's not a new thought either.

Of course, I mocked a particular Super Bowl halftime show earlier this year (shout out to John Nash, as we still chide each other over that).

As I've essentially concluded refurbishing my music collection, I've discovered that I own virtually nothing from 2019. Other than The Black Keys and a Seattle-based band called Hotels, there isn't much "modern" in my collection.

I accept all responsibility for this. There are avenues to find new music, and I hope that I can embrace that. It would be nice to discover what's out there. It doesn't need to be popular (and, at this point, shouldn't be).

At the same time, my son has zero interest in the current popular sounds either. Ask him about...er...and...um...and he scoffs.

I feel a level of responsibility for that also, but I also know he's an independent guy.

So I enjoyed The Black Keys as I mowed the lawn and forgot my ideas.

*****
I went to the 26th annual "Jimmy Buffet Party" at my friend Scott's house. It was great to see friends from Mahopac High.

Of note is the fact that I have a "tradition" of showing up after dark. That fact probably needs to change. Even a few hours earlier would be better.

Some friends were missed, while others announced good news. We were able to formally toast Scott and Monica's engagement.

At the same time, we also toasted those turning "the magic number," and those who already have. That would be me, as we figured out I'm the old man of the group.

But I also laughed willingly with my friends and that was nice.

I've missed two of those 26. I'll be back next year.

No comments: