Monday, January 14, 2019

Mel


Photo courtesy of Kay Murcer (Facebook)
I saw this picture early Monday. Taken sometime in the early 70s, it's Bobby and Kay Murcer on the left, and Jean and Mel Stottlemyre on the right. Both were perennial all-stars around this time.

Kay Murcer posted it on her Facebook page.

My heart sank when I saw it.

A few hours later, we learned that Mel had died at 77.

Both Bobby and Mel are now gone, with Bobby Ray passing in 2008.

Mel was great as a pitcher through 11 years as a pitcher, before becoming a coach, achieving his greatest success with the Mets and Yankees.

He was a gracious gentleman on and off the field, and I never heard a bad word about him.

He was the starting, and winning, pitcher at the second game I ever attended: August 31, 1973.

Tonight, The Yankees Saloon has a new customer.

No comments: