Monday, November 19, 2012

Hello From Florida (Again)

"The sea was angry that day, my friends.  Like an old man trying to send soup back in a deli." - George Costanza, Seinfeld.
I know, I know.  The last time I dared - had the NERVE - to blog away from Florida, I caught grief for it.  Well, I 'm doing it again!

I'm on the east coast this time - in Melbourne.  Lisa saw where she could take some time off, so she invited me to travel with her to Florida to meet her mother and father.  I know - THE PRESSURE!  Meet the Parents!  Aaaaarrrggghhhh!!!


No, I haven't been hooked up to a lie detector.  No.  Not really.

Lisa and I connected on Sunday morning and took an early flight out of Newburgh, NY.   Before we knew it, we were in Orlando.  My previous frustration with Jet Blue for their pricing policy* had faded because they really are a top-flight (duh) airline.

* In short, Lisa and I booked our tickets at the same time.  She paid $30 less than I did.  We expressed our frustration to Jet Blue, and they didn't even give us so much as a drink voucher.  Or a free movie.  Or a set of their freaking headphones.  Lesson learned.  Life goes on.

Lisa mother (Jo) and father (Roger) met us in Orlando and drove us to the east coast where, just feet from the Atlantic, I treated them to the culinary delight of a lifetime!
Tim Parry expressed his approval from Connecticut via Facebook.  Lisa, however, wasn't all that delighted.  Sigh...I guess the atmosphere of the Waffle House experience didn't cut it.  Me?  OK, it wasn't their best, but it's still the WH.

Besides, Tim, Jason Intrieri, and I are heading to "The Waff" in December on our way to the Reading Tent Sale.  Lisa, Paul Silverfarb, the Press Box Playmakers, and a cast of anyone is invited.

By the way, as a quick aside, my trip to Florida meant that I wouldn't be in Greenwich to call the 2012 GYFL Championships.  Chris Kaelin and Max Barefoot filled in ably.  I listened for a short while, and I was pleased.  They should be proud of their work.

This isn't going to be a trip of stories.  I don't expect to move much farther than Jo and Roger's house, other than walking across the street to the pool, or strolling the neighborhood.  There won't be adventures.  That's fine.  This is a trip to get acquainted and maybe even relax.

And write my 2012 Brunswick fall recaps for the Times of Brunswick.  And do program logs for WGCH.  Before I know it, we'll be right back in Orlando, and flying home to pick up Sean.  Soon it will be time for the 2012 FCIAC Football Championship game at Cardinal Stadium.

But I love me some Florida.  It's cloudy and only in the low 70's.  I don't care.  I'll take it.

No comments: