Friday, August 03, 2012

Me and Huey - Together Again!


It's been seven years.  Ugh...seven long years.  But finally, thanks to my niece Stephanie, I'm going to see Huey Lewis and the News again.

Stephanie won the tickets from WHUD Radio and told them to give them to me.  I raised her and her sisters on the gospel of Huey back in the day.

Oh I've seen them before.  First in 1985, at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Middletown, NY.  Then in 1987...twice...first at Madison Square Garden (yes, still my favorite show ever), then at Middletown again.  Then in 1989, playing as The Sports Section (trying out new tunes) at The Chance in Poughkeepsie, NY (I actually scalped tickets!).  Next was 1991 at Jones Beach in the pouring rain.  It was five years before the next show, at the Westbury Music Center on Long Island, then an intimate show in 1999 at the Charles Ives Center in Danbury, CT.  In 2001, I saw the boys at Jones Beach again.  The last show was in 2005 at the Mid-Hudson Civic Center in Poughkeepsie.  My cousin Kris had some connections and got us backstage where we said hello to Huey and Bill Gibson, and took pictures with both Stef Burns and Johnny Colla.

Ah, that was a lifetime ago.

Anyway, Lisa and I will head to Bethel Woods for a good night of HLN and Joe Cocker this Sunday.  A big ol' thanks goes to Stephanie for looking out for her Uncle!

We need some music!  I honor of Lisa, who posted "I" as a Facebook status.  Among my responses was "I...want a new drug?"

No comments: